Canon Canada Recognized as One of Canada’s Greenest Employers
For the fourth year in a row, the company earned distinction for creating a culture of environmental awareness.
BRAMPTON, ON., APRIL 20, 2022 – Canon Canada Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, has been named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2022. The award recognizes employers leading the way in creating a culture of environmental awareness. This marks the fourth consecutive year that Canon Canada has earned this recognition.
Canon Canada’s focus on the environment and sustainability is a reflection of Canon’s global Kyosei philosophy: all people – regardless of race, religion or culture – harmoniously living and working together into the future. This philosophy guides the company’s efforts to help sustain the environment for future generations through maximizing resource efficiency, fostering sustainable business practices and actively promoting employee environmental events and education.
“Canon Canada being named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the fourth year in a row is a testament to the continuous collective efforts of our employees to help shape a more sustainable world, both locally and globally,” says Nobuhiko Kitajima, President and CEO of Canon Canada. “We strive to be responsible corporate citizens in our day-to-day operations, and with how we interact with the communities where we work and live. This recognition builds on our reputation as an employer committed not only to sustainable practices but also to empowering our employees to make a difference.”
Now in its 15th year, Canada’s Greenest Employers is an editorial competition organized by the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project in partnership with the Globe and Mail. The editors evaluate and select the recipients based on four sets of criteria: unique environmental initiatives and programs developed; success in reducing their environmental footprint; employee involvement in programs and whether they contribute any unique skills; and whether their initiatives have become linked to the employer’s public identity and whether they attract new people to the organization.
Canon Canada’s environmental initiatives and endeavours include the following:
- LEED® Gold for New Construction and Major Renovations 2009 certification for its corporate headquarters, in Brampton, Ontario. Surrounded by expansive, community-accessible green space, the building includes elements that encourage collaboration, foster well-being and promote practices that reduce its carbon footprint.
- State-of-the-art Brampton Headquarters designed to reflect the company’s commitment to sustainability, with features including energy-efficient lighting throughout the building and a rooftop greywater system. See inside and learn more about the sustainability of Canon Canada’s Brampton Headquarters here.
- A partnership with Earth Rangers, a kids’ environmental and conservation organization that shares the company’s commitment to environmental education and responsibility in Canadian youth. With Canon Canada’s support, the organization launched the Backyard Biologist Mission, a program that teaches kids about biodiversity in local green spaces – including their own backyard – and lets them share their findings. Canon Canada also sponsored 17 virtual Earth Ranger assemblies, bringing environmental awareness to more than 4,300 elementary school students across the country.
- The Canon Canada Environmental Studies Scholarship, started in 2020 and presented annually for five years to students at York University and the University of British Columbia. The scholarship helps the universities provide financial assistance to students pursuing careers committed to sustainability and protecting the environment.
- Branch Out, a volunteer initiative that gives employees the opportunity to spend multiple workdays creating green spaces and sustainable environments around the communities where they work and live. In 2021, unable to hold in-person events, the company created a virtual scavenger hunt for staff to do at home. Tasks were family-friendly and included photo and video species identification challenges, as well as activities that encouraged participants to explore nearby parks, plant pollinator seeds at home, and create upcycled crafts such as bird feeders or seed paper.
- The Canon Green Team, a company-wide, cross-departmental committee dedicated to activating, reviewing and enhancing Canon Canada’s environmental initiative, as well as promoting enviro-consciousness among employees. In 2021, the team spearheaded the installation of hydration water stations in the staff cafeteria at the Brampton headquarters, which will eliminate 8,000 plastic water bottles and 3,000 single-use plastic straws from landfills each year. The team is now in the process of phasing out disposable plastic water bottles and straws at all Canon Canada locations.
- Electronics recycling programs that encourage employees to responsibly recycle their no-longer-needed electronics. In 2021, Canon Canada hosted drive-thru curbside events at three of its offices, where employees diverted more than 565 kilograms of consumer electronics from landfills. Over the past four years, employees have diverted almost 3,300 kilograms of consumer electronics and textiles from landfills. Dedicated drop-off bins for used batteries, toner cartridges and electronics are set up at multiple locations across the country.
- Participation in multiple electronics stewardship programs across the country, including the Canadian Stewardship Services Alliance, Éco Enterprises Québec and Electronics Products Stewardship Canada.
- International ISO 14001 Certification at multiple offices across Canada. The standard certifies Canon Canada has implemented, maintained and constantly enhanced its environment management system, and ensured it meets or exceeds all environmental compliance obligations.
- A Green Procurement Policy that ensures the company procures parts, products and services from vendors who are in line with Canon Canada’s commitment to the environment and sustainability.
About Canon Canada Inc.
Headquartered in Brampton, Ontario, Canon Canada Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Canon U.S.A. Inc., is a leading provider of consumer and business-to-business digital imaging solutions. Innovation and cutting-edge technology have been essential ingredients in Canon's success. Canon Canada Inc. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 per cent Canadian-based service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon Canada Inc. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility.
For more information, please visit canon.ca or follow the company on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using @CanonCanada.
# # #
Canon Canada Inc.